“THE ROLE OF THE TRIPLE HEATER IN THE FIRE ELEMENT AND IN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE” with Carola Beresford-Cooke
Introduction to the Triple Heater concept, its place in the Fire Element, the history of its interpretation in Chinese, Japanese and Zen Shiatsu theory. Discussion of the possibility that the Triple Heater is associated with the connective tissue.
Learning outcomes: understanding the breadth and scope of the subject of the Triple Heater and its place in the history of Asian medicine.
- Understanding the necessity of horizontal divisions in the tubular anatomy of the body; experiencing the different Ki qualities of the Three Burning Spaces.
- The Three Burning Spaces in Emotional Experience.
- Linking the meridian functions within each Burning Space with different emotional experiences and noticing how these might be felt in a Shiatsu session.
- Finding out how to suspect a tight or blocked gateway between the Burning Spaces (e.g. diaphragm, pelvic floor, throat muscles): exploring ways of releasing them when it is appropriate to do so.
- Introducing the possibility of encouraging emotional peace by connecting with universal Ki qualities within the receiver.
- Reviewing the individuals’ experience of the workshop so far, sharing feedback, resolving revieexpansive wing any issues that come up.
- Coming back into the group energy, tuning in to personal Ki and reviewing the focus of the workshop.
- Understanding the reality of the Central Channel via embryology, finding a possible model of relationship between the Chinese and Indian systems that makes a link between meridians and Chakras, noticing how the Triple Heater fits into this model.
- Understanding how “energy medicine” and all Shiatsu techniques can be used as a way of relating body (held together by connective tissue) and emotions into an energetic whole. The role of the Shiatsu giver in establishing a safe and expansive energetic arena in which the receiver has the possibility to “re-frame” themselves.
- Recognizing the self-protective function as basic to all life-forms, noticing how it works as a whole through the connective tissue, exploring the “contractility” function in practice.
- Bringing individual experiences into a shared understanding of the material covered.
- Relating the Triple Heater and Heart Protector once more to the Fire element and expansive movement, as a counterbalance to contraction: recognizing the indispensability of both.
- Reflecting on the material covered, concluding.
- Addressing the individual’s needs for protection, expansion and relaxation in the Ki of the different areas of the body: giving a session that respects boundaries and restores as much flow as the individual can allow.
26 & 27 October 2019 Time: 10:00 π.μ. – 18:00 μ.μ. Aikido Dojo 114 Lenorman Str. , 5 th floor, Athens.